With the age of digital events upon us how might we help guarantee success?
The events sector has undergone an unprecedented sea-change in recent years. During 2020, Covid-19 forced 67% of marketers to increase their investment in web-based seminars and events. In 2021, thanks to the continued uncertainty surrounding the rollout of vaccines, their popularity grew further. According to Statista, Virtual events rose in popularity by 35% from 2020, whilst Hybrid and in-person events slackened by 32%. The age of the digital event is upon us, but what does success look like in this new frontier of engagement?
Measuring Success in Digital Events
Before we build an engaging digital event, it’s important that we establish the metrics that allow us to determine success. In their global report entitled The State of Virtual Events 2021, AWS looked at the most common metrics for success. Their research found that the most common metrics included, engagement number (45%), attendee satisfaction (24.9%), revenue (14.8%), social engagement (7.9%) and other (7.4%).
The metrics you choose to define the success of your digital event will naturally differ depending on what kind of event you’re planning to run. For an event pushing brand awareness, your overall engagement number or social engagement figures will be central. For those in the B2B space, attendee satisfaction and revenue will be the priority. No matter what you do though, you must define your success metrics first and foremost.
Digital Event Success Tips
Success in digital events begins and ends with successful planning, and that planning must be driven by the metrics define above. However, once these are in place what should our next steps be to ensure repeatable success? Hootsuite have provided the following 10 tips to help when setting up your next digital event.
- Set clear goals – Why do you want to host an event? Set SMART goals, does the team understand what you want to achieve?
- Choose your platform – Platforms for hosting your events are numerous, but there is one we will discuss shortly that could be perfect for you.
- Pick a time – When is the event? Be aware of different time zones and other events you might be competing with.
- Promote your event – Be proud of your event! Shout about it on social and advertise where applicable so that attendees know when to participate.
- Develop a clear agenda – This should include speakers, timeframes, and other information that might engage your current audience whilst coercing a new one to get involved.
- Include moderators at your event – To keep things under control during the event itself, you will want moderators on hand to help you continue to engage attendees.
- Engage your audience – It is 2022 and by now we’ve all sat through long, disengaging Zoom calls. Encourage participation and conversation at events to keep it from stagnating.
- Prepare to troubleshoot – Technical difficulties are an uncomfortable reality of virtual events, make sure that tech support is on standby to counter any hiccups.
- Send out a post-event follow up – Once your event is complete, ensure that your attendees have access to all of the valuable information that you surfaced during the event.
- Debrief – Bring your team together to discuss what worked, what didn’t work and how you can improve for the next virtual outing.
There is, however, an 11th tip that we’d like to put forward to help you to guarantee virtual event success. That tip is Jugo.
Use Jugo to Succeed in the Era of Digital Events
Jugo is an entirely unique and new-to-market platform to help build better audience engagement and address a physical world in flux. We recognize the business challenges of today and we understand how to combat them. To do so, we have built an intuitive system that helps you to build immersive virtual events in minutes.
For tips on how to build events like this, and how you can address each of the tips that Hootsuite provided above, check out our visual guide here. The future of digital events is here, its name is Jugo.
To learn more about how Jugo’s virtual event offering can help you to address the shifting virtual world, check out some more of our insights below.Back to resources